Friday, February 27, 2015

Fables and Folk Tales Around the World

Essential Questions:
1.  How are fables and folktales similar and different?
2.  What is the moral or lesson in the story, and how can you use this lesson in your own life?

Right before winter vacation, the children finished writing their fable or folktale book reports. In addition to the essential questions listed above, the children used their higher order thinking skills as they analyzed their particular book.  Here are some of the stories the students have read and analyzed.
Fables and Folktales from Mrs. McCarthy on Vimeo.


The Mud Pony
Retold by Caron Lee Cohen
Native American Folktale
from North America



The Blind Men and the Elephant 
Retold by Karen Backstein
Originated in India
Why Mosquitoes Buzz in People's Ears
Retold by Verna Aardema
Originated in Ghana, West Africa
The Run Away Wok
Retold by Ying Chang Compestine
Originated in Beijing, China




free glitter text and family website at FamilyLobby.com






17 comments:

  1. Boys and girls, you did a fabulous job on your Chatterkids creation. Way to Go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. cool job on the chatter kids video

      Delete
    2. I really liked our Chatterkids project. Everyone did a great job on their drawings and their writing. -Robby
      What an excellent job with this project everyone! Such important lessons you all learned. - Mr.Connelly

      Delete
  2. Victor said:
    The pictures are awesome and the narrators did a great job at telling details. It was a good idea to use Chatterkids!

    Victor's Dad said:
    Wow! What amazing kids we have; incredible re-telling of the different Fable's and Folklore's core values and lessons - new and old. The kind of creativity that goes into a project like this teaches us all so much. The illustrations were fantastic and I really enjoyed the funny little moving mouths - very cool web app, this Chaterkids. I'll have to try it at work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, everyone did a great job! I think Mason did a great job on his picture and when he made his mosquito make noise.

    ReplyDelete
  4. All of you are very talented artists and accomplished readers. Great Job! I really enjoyed your video. Thank you for sharing with us.

    Vicky Long

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the video because you learn a lot of lessons.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really enjoyed the video since all the kids learned valuable lessons and the drawings were great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think everyone did an amazing job on their Chatterkids project especially the drawing part!
    FROM,
    CHLOE

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just watched the CHATTERPIX video with my mom

    O O
    d
    -----


    FROM: CHRIS

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for such a great video! I loved hearing the lessons that you learned and it was fun to watch the video with Christofer! - Thanks! Mrs. Young.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really liked our Chatterkids project. Everyone did a great job on their drawings and their writing. -Robby
    What an excellent job with this project everyone! Such important lessons you all learned. - Mr.Connelly

    ReplyDelete
  11. I liked the pictures the best. My favorite picture was the pony from the Mud Pony Fable.

    ReplyDelete
  12. All of the kids did a great job! I loved the drawings! Very Creative!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I loved the video of Fables and Folktales. I liked everyone's drawings and stories. Sincerely: Jack

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like how everyone talked about the moral in the story and how some people did cool beginnings. The chatter pix projects looked awesome!
    -Mariko

    ReplyDelete
  15. I loved the drawings and the stories . Great job ! Olivia

    ReplyDelete